Protecting severely flood-prone properties from future losses reduces the overall cost to the NFIP, the expense for the homeowners, and the economic impact to the community.  In recognition of this important need for mitigation, Congress has created a variety of funding sources to help repetitive loss property owners reduce their exposure to flood damage.  The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) now has five grant programs and one insurance benefit.  More information on these programs can be found on the noted websites.


  • Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) − a grant made available after a Presidential disaster declaration 

  • Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) − a grant that your community can apply for each year

  • Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) − a nationally competitive grant that your community can apply for each year 

  • Repetitive Flood Claims (RFC) − a grant that FEMA administers for certain repetitive loss properties when there is no local government sponsor 

  • Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) − a grant that is reserved for “Severe” repetitive loss properties, i.e.,those whose flood insurance policies are administered by FEMA’s Special Direct Facility rather than a private insurance company 

  • Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) − an extra flood insurance claim payment that can be provided if an insured building was flooded and then declared substantially damaged by the local permit office  You should ask for this coverage in your insurance policy.

For more information, please visit


Most of the FEMA grants provide 75% of the cost of an eligible project.  The owner is expected to fund the other 25%, although in some cases, the state or local government may contribute to the non-FEMA share.  ICC pays 100% (up to $30,000) of the cost of bringing the damaged building up to the local ordinance’s flood protection standards.