Print
The Lambertville Free Public Library has provided library services to the city and residents of Lambertville since its establishment in 1926.  The Library, now currently housed in the historic Lilly Mansion at 6 Lilly Street in Lambertville, provides a full range of services including access to Interlibrary Loan services, Internet, and ebooks, as well as books, audiobooks, movies and programming for adults and children.

The Board of Trustees Meetings are held the second Tuesday of the month beginning at 7 PM at the Library, 6 Lilly Street, Lambertville. For more information please contact the board secretary Jacqueline Sornstein at (609) 397-5085.

For a full list of the services and programs offered by the library, please visit their website The Lambertville Free and Public Library.

History

The Stryker Library Association of Lambertville

On September 5, 1881 twenty-eight gentlemen of the City of Lambertville gathered in the offices of Charles Skillman to witness and sign the document establishing the Stryker Library Association, according to the specifications of the will of Samuel Davis Stryker, deceased some fourteen years before.
Thus begins the history of the Lambertville Free Public Library, which arose from the bequest of Samuel Stryker forming the Stryker Library Association.

The provisions of Stryker's will included a bequest of $1000 to James Stryker -- his brother --, Ashbel Welch and Charles Skillman as trustees, for the benefit of the town. The sum of $1,000 was to be loaned out at interest until such time as the citizens of Lambertville should raise an amount of money equal to the bequest and the interest for the establishment of a library in Lambertville.

Continue Reading Library History

The Lilly Mansion

Home of the Lambertville Free Public Library

About 1812, Judge John Coryell, a son of Captain George Coryell, sold a large tract of land to an early settler, Dr. John Lilly, who built a mansion upon it, sometime between 1812 and 1830. 

The lawns and gardens originally stretched from Bridge Street east to the cliff and south to Swan Creek, and included a pond and stables. 

In 1946, the front lawn became the site of a service station, and over the years subdivided lots were sold to the south and east. In later years the mansion was used as the Moose Lodge, apartments, and the Senior Citizen Center.

The building was purchased by the City of Lambertville in 1980 after falling into disrepair. Major restoration work was completed in 1993, retaining the mansion's historic character while providing a modern facility to meet the needs of the community. Spacious surroundings, a second floor meeting room, children’s library, and computer capabilities pave the way for future growth.